Medical manufacturers and pharmaceutical companies like yours depend on fast, transparent, reliable supply chains. Any delay or inefficiency can cause issues with getting drugs, devices, and other products to market. An increasing reliance on international manufacturing means it’s vital to import and export medical products from the US using a trusted and reliable customs process.
One of the best ways to achieve this is by using a licensed customs brokerage service—particularly if they have a deep understanding of medical and pharmaceutical products, processes, and marketplaces. Here’s how the right broker can help you optimize your medical supply and pharmaceutical deliveries through the customs process.
Understand the latest rules and regulations on importing and exporting medical deliveries
The rules for importing and exporting medications and devices can be complex and span multiple agencies and frameworks. A specialized customs broker has a deep understanding of medical and pharmaceutical customs regulations.
We provide customs brokerage services that will:
- Ensure you stay compliant with any customs frameworks
- Follow the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act and Medical Devices Regulations
- Take account of guidance issued by federal and regulatory agencies
- Keep you informed of changes that impact product clearance into or out of the US
- Train and communicate with your staff on any upcoming regulatory changes impacting medical deliveries
- Help you apply for any licenses, certificates, or permits to import medical supplies into the US
Our brokerage services remove any delays due to compliance or regulatory issues.
File all necessary medical customs paperwork ahead of time
A customs broker will confirm the details of your medical deliveries. They will then file any essential import or export paperwork with federal agencies, including US Customs and Border Protection, the Food and Drug Administration, and any other necessary parties.
Our medical customs filing will:
- Get all of the details of your upcoming medical imports and exports
- Complete all necessary customs paperwork and foreign trade documents on your behalf
- Clarify any questions or ambiguous areas
- File paperwork with USCBP, the FDA, and others
This minimizes delays at the port as agencies will quickly double-check any filings against your shipments.
Classify pharmaceuticals and medical devices for import
Medical supplies must be correctly classified for import. Our customs brokers will ensure that your products:
- Adhere to all classification guidelines from the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act and Medical Devices Regulations
- Classify medical devices into the correct class and risk category
- Meet any labeling, handling, packaging, or other requirements
- Ensure you are licensed and permitted correctly to bring medical supplies into the US
This ensures your products meet classification standards for import to minimize delays or rejection.
Calculate duties, taxes, and other fees on medical imports
Duties and taxes vary widely depending on the manufacture, ingredients, and purpose of the medical products you’re bringing into the US. A customs broker will establish exactly what tariffs are applicable to your medical supplies and will calculate any payable fees and taxes. The broker can then take care of duty payments on your behalf.
We provide complete customs duty and tax services that will:
- Clarify the quantity, type, and purpose of any medical supplies that you’re bringing into the US
- Correctly classify your products into tariff bands based on the Harmonized Tariff Schedule
- Calculate your tariffs, duties, and other fees based on the value of your products
- File any details of fees with the relevant agencies
- Make duty and other payments on your behalf when you import medical products
This reduces your administrative overhead in working out and paying fees on your imports.
Optimize duties and tariffs for pharmaceuticals and medical devices
A customs trade specialist can also advise you on tariff engineering to reduce your medical import duties. Tariff engineering means you can make changes to the design and manufacture of medical devices and drugs to lower the tariffs and duties you will pay.
Our medical tariff engineering will:
- Advise you on the tariff bands for different types of medical supplies
- Suggest changes to your manufacturing for the reclassification of medical products
We can also advise on free trade agreements and similar areas that can reduce or eliminate tariffs altogether.
Get refunds on re-exported or destroyed medical supplies
Medical device and pharmaceutical businesses can get a refund of duty if they destroy or re-export unused supplies. A customs broker will take care of the “duty drawback” process for these products, including duty drawback filing and collecting any money owed.
Our duty drawback services will:
- Ensure you’re compliant with duty refund rules for pharmaceuticals and medical devices
- Advise you on how to re-export or destroy medical goods so they are recognized by USCBP
- File duty drawback paperwork on your behalf
- Collect refunds from USCBP and return the money to you
We’ll remove the hassle and overhead of claiming refunds from federal agencies.
Ensure environmentally controlled onward logistics for medical supplies
Drugs, vaccines, and other pharmaceuticals often rely on carefully controlled environments to stay viable and effective. Some customs brokers are integrated into third-party logistics providers and can ensure the proper handling and transport of sensitive supplies at all stages.
GEODIS is an integrated 3PL. Our services will:
- Track your medical deliveries from arrival into the US
- Ensure the proper handling and control of all products at all stages
- Environmentally monitor medical products through customs, receipt, transport, storage, and distribution
- Provide best-in-class security for your medical products at all times
- Track and report on shipments throughout the supply chain
This ensures all of your medical supplies and deliveries reach the market in pristine condition.
Trust GEODIS Customs Brokerage to optimize the import and export of your medical deliveries. Get in touch with us today and discover how we can eliminate delays, maximize efficiency, and get your products to market.