The freight forwarding industry has formed the backbone of the nation’s transportation sector for decades. Things have changed in that time. New ways of shopping have altered consumer habits and catalyzed a shift to e-commerce trends and the need for freight forwarding technology that can handle the changes. According to a recent Insider Intelligence report, traditional retail sales growth rates are declining, but e-commerce remains the winner, with at least 8% CAGRs through 2026.
Having the right technology in place is essential for any freight forwarding business that wants to stay ahead of the competition. Freight forwarding technology can improve productivity and make it easier to manage invoices and payments and track shipments in real-time. The right tools in the hands of managers and team members who know how to use them can make all the difference in the world regarding improving supply chain logistics and maximizing freight forwarding efficiency.
The Impact Freight Forwarding Technology Has on the Industry Today
The freight forwarding industry is growing. The industry is expected to grow even more as demand continues and smart shipping services become the norm rather than the exception. The impact freight forwarding technology has on the industry can be seen in several impactful areas:
- E-commerce has made it easier for consumers to shop online. The ease of shopping has given rise to an increase in demand for goods to be shipped quickly and easily. This means more shipments are being sent across the country and worldwide. All this traffic must be monitored, tracked, organized, and controlled.
- The renewed focus on e-logistics, digital dashboards, online platforms, and collaborative networks improves productivity and profitability. From freight forwarders to shippers, every step of the transportation process is streamlined and optimized for efficiency with digital tools, strategies, and insights.
- Globalization has also contributed significantly to growth within this sector because it allows businesses to collaborate and coordinate effectively. Teams in different countries or regions can use technology tools like freight forwarding tech, artificial intelligence, and real-time connective tech to stay on top.
- Technology that tracks and monitors forwarding cargo, whether carried by land, air, or sea, makes logistics much more efficient. As a result, they can offer their products or services internationally while maintaining low costs while still making profits at home. It allows for effective scaling and adapting to shifting markets and consumer demand.
How E-commerce Changed The Freight Forwarding Industry
Many people today know what e-commerce is, but how has this new normal impacted the freight forwarding industry? The utilization of freight forwarding technology and supply chain tech stacks has changed the fact of the transportation industry in several key ways:
- Manufacturers have a greater reach when it comes to finding customers for products.
- Forwarders have increased demand for capacity and route access to move cargo.
- Retailers have more demand for products and inventory to keep shelves stocked.
- Consumers expect fast and affordable shipments with reliable results every time.
- Logistics managers face increased pressure to avoid disruptions and delays.
- End-to-end visibility and insight have become essential for those in the industry.
Because of these changes and shifts towards automation and e-commerce, freight forwarding services also changed. Freight forwarding technology, machine learning, automation, and smart tech are already used to improve the logistics industry and change how everything from sales and packaging to cargo dipping and forwarding services operates.
- AI is used to optimize a supply chain and streamline essential processes. AI enables a variety of processes, such as locating the proper transportation modes, matching cargo with the right forwarder, or handling real-time issues and disruptions.
- Machine learning has made an impact on the customer service side of the industry. Today, technology can help manage customer interactions, answer queries, analyze real-time data, and determine what did and did not work in a given situation.
- Based on smart technology, predictive analytics allows freight forwarders and others in the industry to predict future events. This includes routine shifting of products between warehouses and distribution centers to peak season preparations for holidays and other situations.
- Logistics automation improves productivity and reduces errors. This makes it easier to maximize loads, secure payments more quickly, and manage the day-to-day processes more efficiently. Shaving minutes off routine processes can save time and money for forwarders.
- Freight forwarding technology keeps cargo moving with advanced tracking and monitoring. Using mobile devices to track shipments and notify managers, drivers, and customers of potential issues makes it easier to react in real-time to avoid cargo loss or expensive problems.
- Integration between logistics, various teams, and businesses is the forwarders’ final benefit when using smart technology within the supply chain network. Keeping everyone connected and accurate data flowing is fundamental to successful freight forwarding.
The transportation landscape changes as new technologies, tools, and innovations impact how various transportation and shipping companies do business. New ways of shopping have altered consumer habits and demands, increasing the need for freight forewarning technology and forwarders and service providers that can keep up.
Embracing new technology and innovations means companies can stay competitive and maintain the forward growth and momentum needed to survive the ongoing fluctuations within the industry.
Strengthening the Freight Forwarding industry is Easy With GEODIS.
Freight forwarding technology can improve productivity and make it easier to manage invoices and payments and track shipments in real-time. The right partnership makes all the difference. See how easy it can be to embrace freight forwarding technology by choosing the right partner. It’s time to improve overall scalability, adaptability, and useability within the modern forwarding network. Connect with the experts at GEODIS to get started.